Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata
 Where are 'matters'?

Matters existed in CLSIS to store the data related to the client's legal or non-legal problem. CLSIS required you add an Activity, ie Advice or Casework to each Matter. You could record multiple Activities per Matter.

In CLASS, Matters and Activities were merged on to one screen called Services. Data previously recorded on the Matter screen, such as Funding Category and Problem Type are now recorded on the the Services screen along with the Date of Service, worker, and Service Type. It is important to be consistent with the Counting Rules set up for each service type in the Data Standards Manual when entering services into CLASS. 

 How do I record casework now?

In accordance with the National Legal Assistance Data Standards Manual, the names of Services have changed. We now have more that Advice and Casework. Most Casework will fall into either Legal Task or Representation.

Where a Centre assists a client in an ongoing and representative capacity, it is now known as 'Representation'. There are 3 types of Representation services. However, some matters previously recorded as 'Minor Casework' (i.e. 0-5 hours) may be now known as Legal Task or Non-Legal Support. 

Each centre must familiarise itself with the new Data Standards Manual, and decide how to record their services. A Service Conversion Guide has been created to assist in the transition. NACLC or your PII Representative can provide more information or discuss further. 

 Can I record and search by File Number?

File Number is an open text field in CLSIS (on the Matter screen) where Centres could record the File Number of a client or activity used in the Centre filing system. This is different to the Client ID, Matter ID and Activity ID which are autogenerated numbers unique to the associated object. 

File Number has been brought from CLSIS into CLASS. You will not lose any existing File Numbers. You can continue to record File Number on the Service screen, in the Archive panel. 

You can also search by File Number. This is done via Search Services. To add File Number to the searchable columns:

  1. Select Customise from the top menu. Column Chooser will be displayed in the bottom right corner.
  2. Drag File Number from the Column Chooser into the desired position. 
  3. You can remove a column by dragging it from it's position into the Column Chooser. This is recommended to make viewing more manageable.
 Can I record time spent on a Service?

Yes, you can record the estimated time spent on the following Services:

  • Legal Task
  • Non-Legal Support (Discrete)
  • Non-Legal Support (Ongoing)
  • Facilitated Resolution Process
  • Duty Lawyer
  • Court/Tribunal Representation
  • Dispute Resolution Representation
  • Other Representation

CLASS also has more options for time spent. It is important to know that time spent is no longer the proxy for Representation services under the National Partnership Agreement. In CLSIS this was recorded via Case Hours and only applicable to Casework. 

 How do I record 'Advice Checked' in CLASS?

It is best practice that Responsible Person/s check the Services provided by employed and volunteer lawyers and non-lawyers at their Centre. This is usually done via the hard copy files. CLASS allows the Responsible, or Nominated, Person/s to record on a Service that it has been checked:

  1. From the Service screen, navigate to the Actions tab
  2. Select New
  3. From the Action Type drop down, select Service Checked
  4. Add required details such as the date the Service was check, by who and any relevant notes and Save

To ensure that all the required data has been collected accurately, you do need to navigate across the Client and Service screen, including associated Actions. It is recognised that this could be streamlined and will be considered post-rollout. 

 How do I enter Bulk Information?

CLASS will have a function to enter Information services in bulk, similar to the Bulk Information, or Information Summary, in CLSIS. This will be implemented in a future update. In the meantime, please look into how to record Information and Referral Service one by one.

 Income Scale - is it gross or net income?

The income brackets refer to gross income, ie before tax. This is set out by the National Legal Assistance Data Standards Manual (p 28) and defined by the ABS Personal Income Ranges for the 2011 Census - more information here. Centre staff should decide the most appropriate way to collect this information from their clients.

 What is negative income?

Income may be negative when a loss accrues to a person as an owner or partner in unincorporated businesses or rental properties.